I want to change my web host.How to Transfer my Web Site to Another Host Without Losing It?
Here are the steps you need to take:
1. Make a complete copy of your web site.
2. Choose your new Web Host.
3. Transfer your domain name Contact the domain name registrar
4. Upload all files to your new Web Host.
5. Transferring web pages to the New Host.
6. Amending your web site.
7. Testing your web site.
If you’re moving to a host who has as different control panel, make a manual backup by downloading all your files because different control panels may not be able to restore the backups made by your old host. They also have different directory structures so your file trees will be in a mess. If you need to, make a small note file with notepad with memos for you to remember the old server configurations. This will help you as you make changes on your new host server and save the confusion moving back and forth between hosts.
Also remember to backup server logs. There is no good way of moving logs yet because different hosts may log statistics differently. So the best thing to do is to download it and use a log analyzer on your computer to make references to later on.
It is common and good practice to inform your visitors and customers of the server move. If you run a e-store, this helps assure your customers you have not fled with their money if there is any downtime. Also give an alternate email so you won’t lose emails in the transfer.
Also Gather Odds & Ends
1. A Good FTP program which you should have by now
2. Get your new host server’s DNS
3. It’s also helpful to have a script that tells you the server environments installed on your new host server for quick references.
4. Get the temporary URL on your new host so you can check your site before you make a DNS change.
5. If you have your host control the domain inform them not to change your DNS until you tell them to.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.