There are two platforms are available for hosting ‘Linux and Windows’.
Though there are certain differences among these two as listed below, but both of them are platforms of choice for deploying functionality rich web based applications: –
– Linux is an open source freeware whereas Windows is a Microsoft brand.
– Additional components for Linux are generally free whereas the components for Windows need to be purchased.
– Linux is considered to be more virus proof then Windows
– Web space for Linux being freeware is less costly then Windows
– The cost of Linux web space includes the cost for database server whereas for windows if MS SQL server is opted it costs additional.
For the purposes of listing factors to choose which platform, we can say: –
– The budget the client has for hosting.
– If the specific requirement requires a specific component then identifying weather it is available with Windows or Linux
– If the size of database is going to be huge MS SQL sever is preferred because of the additional features it offers for the data management.
– Both Linux and Windows are equally reliable and robust, but yes on Windows special software are required for providing safety from hackers and non-authentic access.
– Is the client specific about brand then Windows is the only choice.